11 replies to this topic

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

A lot of this should be relatively obvious, but here's a guide to making balanced custom Pokemon (or Fakemon if this term is more familar/appropriate for this kind of stuff). There will also be a sort of template you can use to fill out your Poke's pages and all that (just so it looks neat/orderly; if you decide to do it like Bulbapedia and add stat spread, movesets, etc.) If you just want to show off a Poke and not care about the stats and all that stuff, you may skip over.

Note that this isn't an official guide, but should be useful for those of you that want to show off your custom Pokes but don't play TCG.

1. Info should correlate to the pic (if any)
Basically, make sure your Poke's pic matches the type(s) you set it to be, their height/weight and so on. If you make a Pokemon that weighs 150 pounds and is around 5'8 or something, it should look like that.

You don't need a picture in order to post, but it's mentioned here b/c we're theoretically inside an "Art" forum.

2. Stats
Should be distributed based on what the Pokemon looks like, what their movesets are and so forth. This means, if a Poke gives the impression of being fast, learns moderately strong moves or otherwise can be classified as a sweeper, then its stats should reflect that. (This is designed on Smogon stuff, so if you want to make things for casual, in-game stuff, disregard certain parts)

In essence, code your stat spread however you see fit, but again keep it within realism. (i.e. don't have a baby Pokemon have a BST that rivals that of a pseudo-legendary or something along those lines).

Get creative (or reference existing stuff if you need to).

Keep in mind that a base stat [an individual one] CANNOT exceed 255. As for the total itself, Mewtwo in its Mega form already surpassed Arceus's 720 BST however you shouldn't exceed this amount.

3. Movesets
Given that Pokemon are based off of things in reality or fantasy/myth, moves they learn should, in some shape or form, reference to their real world counterparts. However, you are free to do whatever you want. You are NOT limited to strictly what the real animal is capable of. 

4. Abilities
Should be based off of what the Pokemon in question is derived from and what kind of role it's expected to perform if you placed it in a battle. In the case of legendaries, not a good idea to give them Pressure, since most legendaries, such as the legendary birds, creation trio, beasts, Mewtwo, tower duo and Deoxys, have it as their primary and gets stale after a while).

Mini Template (follows similarly to the Bulbapedia pages, but in condensed form)
NOTE: It would be wise to keep an evolutionary line within one topic; it'll be easier to relate all of them instead of searching different topics.

Species: (You can omit "Pokemon", it's obvious)
Typing: (If dual-typed, separate with a slash "/")
Stat Spread: (Do it like the games, HP/ATK/DEF/SP_ATK/SP_DEF/SPD)7
Abilities: (You can use existing ones or be creative and do your own, but explain what they are if you use customs)
Height: (Use the USA customary system and the SI units [meter], for those who use metric system)
Weight: (Use pounds and kilograms)
Dex Description: (If this were in a game, what would it say in the Pokedex. You don't need to give two of them.)
EV Yield: (If this Pokemon is defeated, how many EVs will be given to your Poke and which stats?)
Evolutionary Line: (List from baby form to final form, and by what means does it evolve [level up, happiness, held item, evolution stone, etc.] You can omit this if Poke doesn't evolve, like legendaries or certain others)

Moveset: (What moves can it learn & at what levels. Split this into level up moves & TM/HM/move tutor/egg moves. Don't have to mention their typing, base power/PP, accuracy, etc if they are actual moves. If moves are custom, note them on another post [type, PP/base power, accuracy, effects])

Species: 
Typing: 
Stat Spread: 
Abilities: 
Height: 
Weight: 
Dex Description: 
EV Yield: 
Evolutionary Line: 

Moveset: 

Level up

TM/HM

Egg

Tutor

This is just a template to make things organized. As long as you have the basic info, you can arrange it however you like.

Hope this helps a bit.
If you guys want to suggest fixes, go ahead.

Edited by Sakura Haruno, 25 June 2014 - 01:46 AM.

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

Change starts with you...it starts with everyone. No matter what type of person you are, try!

Try to make the world a better place.

Sadoldporygon

Sadoldporygon

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationIn your bed

The main issue with people making their own Pokemon is that they get carried away with their design and create overpowered Pokemon. Also it is not mandatory to have a custom picture, but if you do, please give the image a good design along with its flavor (remember this is coming from a straight up expert of the game; I am even working on a ROM hack).

Here is a Pokemon I made that was accepted in my disbanded group:

Wabugg and Watavugg

Egg Group: TBD
Egg Cycles: TBD
Exp. Growth: TBD
Gender Ratio: TBD
2 Evolution Line
Wabuug->TBD-> Watevuug

Name: Wabuug
Abilities: Swift Swim / Adaptability / DW Dry Skinarrow-10x10.png
Type: Water / Bug
Base Stats: 90 HP / 40 Atk / 50 Def / 40 SAtk / 50 SDef / 65 Spe
Level Up moves:
TBA
Egg Moves:
TBA
TM/HM
TBA
Pokedex Entry: TBA
Species: TBA
Height: TBA
Weight: TBA
Dex Color: TBA
Catch Rate: TBA
EV Yield: TBA

Name: Watevugg
Abilities: Swift Swim / Adaptability / Dry Skinarrow-10x10.png
Type: Water / Bug
Base Stats: 125 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 80 SAtk / 90 SDef / 65 Spe
Level Up moves:
TBA
Egg Moves:
TBA
TM/HM
TBA
Pokedex Entry: TBA
Species: TBA
Height: TBA
Weight: TBA
Dex Color: TBA
Catch Rate: TBA
EV Yield: TBA

The stats and abilities are pretty much organized to their best but everything else were never finished. If you want, browse the http://letsmakeagame...m/propositions/ section of our old site.

I will start posting some of my older creations here :)

HAHAHAAHAHAHA I TOLD YOU MOTHERFU**CKERS I'D BE BACK! WHAT NOW NI**AS, WHAT NOW?!

Sadoldporygon

Sadoldporygon

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationIn your bed

Also I would prefer people to make Pokemon using 5th generation rules, typing, moves and abilities; I am NOT a fan of Gen 6 at all and prefer older style.

EDIT: I noticed you are going about creating Pokemon wrongly, and this was an issue with people making PKMN in Tervari. If you restrict the Pokemon people make to strategic-style Pokemon (like " You can only give Fast Moves to Fast Pokemon"), you won't get far with this project because the creators of the Pokemon need to give themselves the flavor and such ideas for the Pokemon THEY are encouraged to make. Such as a Robotic Pokemon having Discharge or Overheat, or maybe even a wind-based move and not be very fast. To all creators of Pokemon: Please do not restrict yourself to competitive-based Pokemon. Make Natural Pokemon, and hindered Pokemon that do not look genetically modified to sweep an entire team of Ferrothorns or tank an Arceus all day. Oh also think of all types of evolutions and please no ubers until we have enough regular-based Pokemon.

Along with this, if you base every single thing a Pokemon is capable of or is, nothing will be creative. That's what happened with Game Troll Freak and their games starting in the 6th generation. Like Emboar, he can learn Scald because he can heat up water and throw it. Never restrict how a Pokemon should be based on too much logic; it is freaking Pokemon everyone!!! There is no logic to a giant orange flaming dragon somehow "Mega Digivolving Evolving" into a bigger dragon that goes around burning things and afterwards goes into a red-and-white ball that is pocket sized. So please, everyone that makes Pokemon: Do not limit yourself of your imagination. Lemme tell you about one of my Pokemon I made that is a great example on "logic is dumb in Pokemon". Now I am not saying that you should make your Pokemon get on crack and be all random and illogical, I am saying please just use your OWN sense of logic. Anyways, here is Toxitherm the Almighty that is the 3rd stage to Jaworm and Wormeth:

Toxitherm Poison/Ground
HP 140
Atk 90
Def 55
SpAtk 80
SpDef 55
Spe 35
Abilities: Expertism(users sp.def is raised by pseudo 1 stage)/DW Arena Trap
Movepool:
-Ice Fang
-Thunder Fang
-Fire Fang
-Sand Attack
-Pound
5Bide
12Poison Sting
16Dig
21Flame Burst
27Bug Buzz
34Earth Power
39Gunk Shot
43Bug Bite
46Flamethrower
52Earthquake
56Toxic Spikes
63Fissure
::Egg Groups::
Field/Bug
Egg Moves:
-Crunch
-Flame Wheel
-Sucker Punch
-Flame Wheel
-Coil
-Endure
-Recycle
-Spikes
The pre evos are yet to come.

Wormeth
Ground
Same abilities, attacks and egg moves as above
HP90
Atk50
Def30
SpAtk20
SpDef40
Spe65

Jaworm (second evo)
Abilities:Expertism/DW Arena Trap
Ground
HP 130
Atk 80
Def 45
SpAtk 55
SpDef 50
Spe 40
(BST 400)
Movepool:
-Sand Attack
-Pound
4Bide
10Poison Sting
15Dig
21Protect
26Bug Buzz
32Mud Bomb
38Gunk Shot
43Bug Bite
49Earthquake
Same egg moves and egg group

Hey, look, he has freaking Fire moves in his move pool!! Do you know why? Because he is a freaking poisonous sand worm that has thermal energy inside of him that he adapted to while living through harsh underground conditions. I can back this up!!! WOOOHOOO!!!

But hey, I am not saying anything bad; I am just saying  USE YOUR OWN LOGIC but keep it at a good distance to reality as well. Good luck on the creation of Fakemons!!

HAHAHAAHAHAHA I TOLD YOU MOTHERFU**CKERS I'D BE BACK! WHAT NOW NI**AS, WHAT NOW?!

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

This is theoretically a guide, so it's not meant to be seen as the approved standard here. You can do whatever you want with them (it's your Pokemon), but just try to keep it balanced.

If CAP had a tier system, do you want that Poke to be sent into Ubers b/c it's too strong? I tried looking in some of the Smogon CAP stuff for ideas, but guess things didn't work out (given that's for OU play). Think I should ease off at looking in the OU/Uber strategy dexes on Smogon; it's making me make stuff for competition.

You don't need a pic (but I mentioned it b/c we're in an Art/Design forum). I also took some ideas from a Fakemon club back on the YCM forum.

For the most part, you should just use your own common sense and know what would its real life counterpart do.

You can give fast moves to slower Pokes (the existence of Scizor/Metagross + Bullet Punch pretty much proves that) and vice versa (some fast Pokes can learn Trick Room or some other negative priority things).

• Justin biebers murderer likes this

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

Change starts with you...it starts with everyone. No matter what type of person you are, try!

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

Anyway, to sum everything up: Just be creative with the Pokemon you make in this section, but make sure you keep it within the bounds of common sense. Although this is technically in the Art forum, you don't need a pic but go ahead if you need to. I somewhat based this guide on stuff from the CAP project, which can be found here and from the Fakemon club by Phosphorus back on YCM (and of course, from Bulbapedia).

That template I provided is to make it easier to show stats and everything else off. Using it isn't required but it does make things easier to read. 

Oh and guys, POST YOUR POKEMON IN YOUR OWN THREAD.

Thank you.

• Justin biebers murderer likes this

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

MegaLucario

MegaLucario

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

BORING. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ ALL OF THIS!!!! MAKE IT SHORTER NEXT TIME!!!!!!! :(

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

You do realize that I wrote that like, what, 3 years ago. Yeah, it is long but Smogon CAP is more so.

(Come to think of it, are they still doing CAP for gen 7 or that got stopped. I haven't checked in a while)

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

MegaLucario

MegaLucario

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

I DON'T CARE HOW LONG AGO YOU MADE IT! AND I NEED YOU TO STOP RESPONDING TO ME!! I AM ON THE VERGE OF SWEARING!!!

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

I'm just going to ignore this kid because nothing productive can come out of this.

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

MegaLucario

MegaLucario

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

NOTHING PRODUCTIVE CAN COME FROM YOUR MOUTH!!!!!! AND HEY, DIDN'T YOU SAY YOU WHERE ON ANOTHER CARD MAKING WEBSITE! OH WAIT, YOU ARE. YOU ALWAYS HAUNT EVERYONE TO COME TO THAT ****ING WEBSITE! SO WHY DON'T YOU JUST GO TO THAT WEBSITE AND NEVER COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW GET OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$#^#&$!@^@&%@!~%$#&^%(_(+((&%&#%^*#*^$%&$^@$&%&#

(P.S. read this next part in deep scary voice out loud)

I am coming for you Sakura.

Xav969

Xav969

Poké Ball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Damn

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Great Ball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationHawai'i, USA

Just ignore him, because I have better things to do than deal with someone who decided to get riled up after saying the thread was dead. I just said the thread was dead for 3 years, and there was no reason for it to be posted in again (especially in that tone); considering the inactivity. There was no reason for the hostility.

I do not intend to entertain the matter further, so knock it off.

====

Going back on track (if that even matters), the template should still hold for Fakemon design and CAP nowadays. 

BhRGore.png8BKIv9X.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users